Monday, October 29, 2018

Creativity and New Media

Using New Media, I have a character in the virtual world of Toontown Rewritten.  This platform is a recreation of the Disney made Toontown Online.  The original site shutdown in 2013.  Fans were devestated and some recreated it with Toontown Rewritten.  Now I had never played the original but my friend introduced me to the recreation and I absolutely love it. 

Below is a picture of my character that I named Deputy Cuddles Paddleglow:



I was able to customize my character and make it my own.  The name is created by mixing preloaded words that the platform gives the users.  With all the options it was so difficult to think of a name but honestly, I'm weirdly proud of mine.  You then can choose your clothes, color, and what animal you want to be.  I kind of forgot what animal I chose but I do like it!

In this game you can fight evil robot Cogs by using gags such as pies, water sprays, and other odd objects.  You are able to level up, complete tasks, and talk to other toons around the map.  It is a simple platform but extremely fun to use.  Now I must go and play this because I realized I have not played in a while and I want to revisit it.


4 comments:

  1. Interesting post as I have never heard of this animation site. It definitely reminds me of the animated games of what I use to play as a kid - so much memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellie,

    When I read this I immediately though about Club Penguin and how I used to play on it when I was younger. Similarly, both sites were shutdown and rewritten. I think it is because as technology got more advanced, these sites needed to have more of virtual world's elements and not just those of internet games. This is evident with the endless options they both offer when creating characters and settings. It would be interesting to get your opinion on why you think Toontown was rewritten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Katrina! Thank you for your opinion! I think that Toontown was rewritten because fans were not willing to give up their childhoods or their favorite past time activity. I had a friend who played both the original and the rewritten and she said it was pretty much the same.
      I think the reason why these sites get rewritten is because even though the original creators do not feel like maintaining it, die hard fans might want to.

      Delete
  3. Hey Ellie, after reading your blog, it immediately brought me back to my childhood. Toontown was such a perfect cartoon game as a child and little did we know, it was already providing us with experiences to create our own character/portfolio. This was so innovative and creative that now looking back on it, it has made it extremely nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete